- Must have been told they have high blood pressure
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must not have experienced a recent cardiac event
- Must not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
- Must not be at risk for lymphedema
Our Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program (BSMP)
Research conducted by the National Institutes of Health has proven that programs like ours can reduce the number of cases of type 2 diabetes by almost 60%. We will work with you through our DPP to be sure you receive the best possible support and advice.
We’ll teach you ways to eat healthier, increase physical activity and how to make other changes to improve your overall health and well-being. Lifestyle changes like this can prevent or delay development of Type 2 diabetes for those at high risk.
Session Topics Include:
- The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stopping Hypertension) approach to healthier eating
- Reducing Sodium Intake
- Shopping, Cooking and Food Preparation
- Eating for Your Heart
The YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program costs a total of $100 per participant. Our unique program is classroom-based, led by a trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors and delivered over a 4-month period.
The cost of this program is covered by most major insurance plans, but check with your health insurance provider or human resources department to be sure it is a covered benefit. Scholarships are also available on a case by case basis where insurance is not an option.
We look forward to seeing you! Take control of your health…take control of your life.
For more information, contact Aida Martinez at 562-309-4875 or [email protected]