- All members, staff, program participants and vendors are required to check-in at the welcome desk or with their program and are screened via a wellness check.
- As is required by the LA County Department of Public Health people participating in our indoor programs are required to wear face coverings. Face coverings are not required while engaged in our outdoor fitness offerings. During these activities at least 8 feet of distance from others is mandatory.
- To avoid overcrowding of our outdoor fitness programming, members are required to make a reservation at least 30 minutes in advance to utilize outdoor fitness equipment or participate in a group exercise class.
- Members are asked to bring their own mats, water bottles and towels.
- We ask that members wipe down any equipment before and after use with the disinfectant wipes provided.
- Folks at the Y are asked to follow 6-foot social distancing guidelines.
- Pick-up and drop off at our child care programs is done just outside the entrance to our building to keep exposure low.
- The cleaning and sanitizing procedures have been amplified to ensure the safety of everyone engaging at the YMCA.
- Please keep yourself and others safe by utilizing hand sanitizing stations and washing your hands frequently with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Those Y family members in a high risk category are encouraged to minimize contact outside of their immediate household members.
- If you are not feeling well for any reason, we ask that you to stay home.
We are pleased to be able to offer a selection of outdoor group exercise classes at our East Whittier Family Center beginning on Monday, August 3. Classes will be taught by our instructor Amanda Perez and take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Members must make a reservation at least 30 minutes in advance by phone at 562-943-7241 or by email at EWmembership@ymcawhittier.org. Upon arrival, check-in at the welcome desk is required. Please bring your own mat, towel and water bottle as we are unable to provide equipment at this time. Thank you!
Our schedule and offerings at this time on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are as follows:
7:30-8:30 AM Zumba: Join the party that combines Latin and international music with dance moves! This fun aerobic workout alternates fast and slow dance rhythms for an interval training workout that feels more like a dance party!
8:30-9:30 AM Pilates: An overall toning and sculpting class that targets the deepest layers of muscle. Emphasis is placed on core muscle strength using precise movements initiated from the center of the body.
5:30-6:30 PM Strong:-Get stronger with this demanding High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) class that syncs body weight, muscle conditioning, cardio and plyometric training moves to music. Squat, lunge, pushup and burpee to the music!
In addition to our outdoor group exercise classes members are welcome to utilize the following equipment outside at the East Whittier YMCA between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM:
- Exercise Bikes
- Elliptical Machines
- Adjustable Benches
- Free-Weights including, dumbells, barbells, large squat rack and plates
Members must make a reservation at least 30 minutes in advance by phone at 562-943-7241 or by email at EWmembership@ymcawhittier.org. Upon arrival, check-in at the welcome desk is required. Please note that at this time our locker rooms remain closed.
If you still aren’t ready to come back just yet, please make use of YMCA 360 linked below. You will have access to hundreds of fitness sessions from the comfort of your own home.
Dear Y Family,
As of July 14th, 2020 we will temporarily close East Whittier YMCA Wellness Center until otherwise noted due to the State of California and Los Angeles County Health Order issued today, July 13. We will continue to deliver our meal distribution, Summer Day Camp child care, Pre-School and Stride for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities programs at both our Uptown and East Whittier YMCA locations.
We are working to implement outdoor exercise programs at our East Whittier location. Please look for more details on these programs coming your way soon. We will keep you informed via email, social media and updated information on our website regarding hours of operation, class offerings, and plans to reopen our indoor operations once the restrictions have been lifted.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and continued support as our Y continues to perform essential services in child care, Pre-School, Summer Camp, “Grab & Go” meal distribution and our Stride program for Adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. We are all in this together and we thank you for being part of this effort.
YMCA of Greater Whittier
President & CEO
Please note that as of July 14, access to our healthy living facilities at East Whittier are closed.
The hours of operation for the YMCA of Greater Whittier are: 6:30 AM-7:00 PM Monday-Friday
The YMCA of Greater Whittier is committed to being a resource to ALL during times of uncertainty. As your community partner, we are expanding our childcare services and all-day summer camp is now available for registration!
- Monday-Friday, 6:30am-7:30pm
- Preschool program (Ages 18 months-5yrs)
- School-age (K-7th grade)
For more information click here or call the Uptown Whittier YMCA Family Center at 562-907-6530 or the East Whittier YMCA Family Center at 562-943-7241 for more information.
We are serving free, healthy meals to ALL children in the area at both branches.
Uptown Grab and Go Service time is 12:00-1:30 PM*
East Whittier Grab and Go Service time is 9:00-11:00 AM*
Weekend meal kits are now available and can be picked up during the Friday Service times at either branch.
Since beginning this service in March we have distributed 35,000 meals to children in our community.
Committed to Health and Safety
The YMCA Greater Whittier is committed to the safety and health of our members, staff, and community. With the growing concern about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are taking precautions in our facilities and will continue to do so as we move forward with opening portions of our operations.
As always we are taking our cleaning procedures seriously at the YMCA of Greater Whittier. We have increased cleaning activities throughout our facilities to ensure that our staff and childcare spaces are maintained in accordance with the procedures set forth by the Los Angeles County Department of Health. This includes the use of masks, latex gloves and sanitizers certified to kill the COVID-19 virus.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Put distance between yourself and other people
- Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow
- Please be kind and patient. We’re all in this together.